Amazon and Microsoft are already offering Cloud IoT Core services since long before Google has registered its entry in the niche with a beta release. Google has distinct Cloud ecosystem and strong partners as well as plans to touch new highs fast. The current post is offering some glimpse of its services, features, and understandings of the entire system to get go fast for IoT app developers.
Internet of Things is now a reality, and IoT application developers struggle for tech advancements to get going fast in IoT app development. To ease the pains of developers and others involved in the industry, some innovations made regularly, and Cloud IoT Core service is one of them. Let’s see how it is.
Today we already have technologies to connect the device to the cloud, but via IoT Core is an advanced approach that eliminates the process using a gateway or another platform to forward IoT data. IoT Core avoids additional layer for deployment process and adds enhanced security features to funnel a huge amount of IoT sensor data to the cloud for monitoring, processing, analysis, and visualizing automatically.
In due course, Google has recently unveiled its Google Cloud IoT Core services opening its account though late, but with advanced services to beat its competitors like Amazon Cloud and Microsoft Azure.
Cloud IoT Core Platforms
In the field of cloud IoT Core services, Google has associated platforms and services to aid such as,
- Cloud Pub/Sub
- Google Cloud Dataflow
- Google Cloud Bigtable
- Google BigQuery
- Google Cloud Machine Learning Engine
- AWS Lambda
- Amazon Kinesis
- Amazon S3
- Amazon Machine Learning
- Amazon DynamoDB
- Amazon Elasticsearch Service with Kibana integration
- IoT Hub (A SaaS Solution)
- Notification Hub
- Stream Analysis
- Power BI
- Machine Learning
Key Concepts of Google Cloud IoT Core
It is easy to understand Google Cloud IoT Core if you follow the following key concepts.
Internet of Things:Physical objects (living and non-living) connected with Internet or any network capable of exchanges data automatically and execute the inferred commands too.
Device:It is called ‘Thing’ in the term Internet of Things. It is a kind of processing unit with power to connect attached sensors with the world of the Internet like server or cloud services and exchange two kinds of data, ‘Telemetry’ and ‘State’ among the network of connected devices and centralized processing units.
It consisted of all types of ‘Event Data’ sent from sensors-devices-connectivity modes to cloud/servers on the Internet and termed as ‘Device Telemetry Event’ data. Google Cloud Big Data Solutions is an excellent choice for analyzing telemetry data.Various weather parameters in environment data collected by different sensors is an ideal example of telemetry data.
Device State:It is a user-defined blob of arbitrary data describing the current status of the device and flows from the device to cloud direction. It could be structured or unstructured data.
Device Configuration:Device configuration used to control device state and similar to device state data in properties.
Device Registry:It is a container of devices and has shared properties so after registration of device on Cloud IoT Core you can manage it through device manager.
Device Manager:It used to monitor the health of devices, activities, updating device configuration, and managing credentials and authentication.
MQTT:Message Queue Telemetry Transport (MQTT) is a standard IoT protocol to publish or subscribe (Pub/Sub) messaging protocol just like HTTP.
Components of Google Cloud IoT Core
There are two main components of Cloud IoT Core services. The first is Device Manager, and another is Protocol Bridge.
- It allows configuration of the individual
- It allows to monitor & manage it securely.
- It uses the console for management or goes programmatically.
- The role of the device manager is to establish the identity of the device and provide authentication mechanism when it is
- It maintains the logical configuration of the device and remotely control the device from the cloud.
- It provides connection endpoints for protocols.
- There are two protocols used in Protocol Bridge, MQTT & HTTP.
- Protocols come with automatic load balancing capacities for all connections of devices.
- It has support for secure connection through the latest security technologies and tools.
- The role of Protocol Bridge is to publish device telemetry to Cloud Pub/Sub.
- It may consume by the downstream analytic system.
Features of Google Cloud IoT Core
Google Cloud IoT Core comes with some distinctive features that keep it apart from the rests of its rivals in the market and those are:
Provide End-to-End SecurityIt uses asymmetric key authentication, and CA-signed certificates to verify device ownership. Devices running Android Things deliver full-stack security.
Manage Single Global SystemIt connects all devices as well as gateways to Google Cloud through MQTT and HTTP protocol endpoints. Thus, it manages all devices as a single global system. It can manage data retention for a week period as short time backup.
Outstanding Data InsightsGoogle Cloud IoT Core integrates your devices with Google Big Data Analytics and various Machine Learning services including Dataflow, BigQuery, Bigtable, ML, Data Studio, other partner Business Intelligence tools.
Managed & Scalable ServiceIt is server-free service so don’t require the installation of any software upfront. It scaled horizontally instantly without looking for limits and managed automatically.
Access Control at Role LevelTo control user access to devices and data, it applies IAM roles to registries of devices.
Device DeploymentIt uses REST API to manage registration, deployment, and operations at scale. When devices are not connected, it also uses API to retrieve and update device properties.
Advantages of Google Cloud IoT Core
There are plenty of advantages to list, but the following are worth to consider.
Cloud IoT Core services help to make informed decisions at the global level.Cloud Pub/Sub aggregates data from the geographically dispersed devices into a single system seamlessly. Using Google Cloud IoT Core services, you can perform analysis, visualize, and implement machine learning to make right decisions as well as improve operational efficiencies and build rich models to optimize your business.
It helps to establish secure connections to your existing IoT devices.
- Cloud IoT Core allows millions of devices to connect securely through endpoints.
- It uses automatic load balancing & horizontal scaling. It ensures smooth data flow all times.
- It supports MQTT & HTTP protocols.
- It runs on server-less infrastructure & scales automatically to real-time changes.
- It adheres to strict security protocols & protects business data.
It assists in establishing a two-way connection with IoT devices.
- Google Cloud IoT Core provides a secure, intelligent, and responsive IoT data pipeline to bring device data into everyday business.
- It relies on the intelligence of Android Things.
- It pushes automatic firmware updates or device updates.
It gets you straight to work.
- It helps in managing IoT data network through a single pane of glass.
- It works with Android Things and other devices from leading hardware manufacturers.
- It helps to cut capital investment on IoT projects by offering pay-as-you-go services.
Google Cloud IoT Core Partners
Despite the stiff competitions from its ultimate rivals Amazon & Microsoft, and its late entry, Google catches on fast and gains a strong foothold in the niche market thanks to its Android alliance and device partners including:
Schlumberger oilfield services and Smart Parking Company in New Zealand are ideal examples of how industry leverage offerings of Google Cloud IoT Core services.
Moreover, Google is going to acquire LogMeIn’s Xively business unit for $50 million to bring real-time stream processing technologies.
After looking things at a glance, we can say that Google has brought game-changing technologies to win the race of Cloud IoT Core services. It may ease the life of IoT application developers and businesses looking for competitive as well as compatible IoT solutions to beat their competitors in their niche markets.
If you have any plan to play in IoT application field or dive for upcoming bright future and looking for a right IoT app development partner with desired reliability and capabilities, SysBunny can act as your right IoT app development consultant. Moreover, it can provide you right guidance as well as IoT application development service using its ultramodern IoT app development infrastructure.